For the US holiday of Thanksgiving, OvenMitt was lucky enough to have five days off. Luckier still, he was able to spend them in his favourite place in the entire world– the Vancouver apartment of Panda! Here’s a day-by-day list of the time the two spent together:
- Brunch at Twisted Fork
- Ice skating at the Kitsilano Rink
- OvenMitt went shopping for a winter coat at Hills while Panda visited her mother.
- Grocery shopping at Safeway for mini-US Thanksgiving the next day
- Dinner (pizza and salad) at Panda’s apartment.
All ready to skate!
- Breakfast of leftovers from Twisted Fork and some delicious scrambled eggs prepared by Panda
- A trip to McDonald’s for waffle fries and a Potato Rosti and Bacon Burger
- OvenMitt cooked creamed spinach and warmed up the frozen scalloped potatoes while Panda picked up some chicken.
- Mini-US Thanksgiving dinner of chicken, potatoes, spinach, and pumpkin pie.
- Panda, in the first of her many coups of the weekend, introduced OvenMitt to the wonders of Flight of the Conchords.
- Brunch at Lucy’s Eastside Diner
- A semi-disastrous trip to Toys “R” Us to buy presents for Panda’s friends’ kids where forgetful, bossy clerks along with unwieldy company policies turned a simple request for separate gift receipts into a nightmare
- A much more successful trip to Chapters to look at books and gifts
- Dinner of leftovers from mini-US Thanksgiving dinner
- A visit to Minami sushi bar for drinks, snacks, and a visit with OvenMitt’s teacher friend, Test Kangaroo, who was in town for the evening with her family and some friends
- Panda, in another of her brilliant moves of the weekend, showed OvenMitt the movie What We Do in the Shadows
- A day spent sleeping/napping/lying around while eating leftovers and watching sports on television (Ohio State beating Michigan and the Canadiens beating the Red Wings— both in overtime)
- Dinner with Panda’s friends the Test Kangaroos*– pizza, wine, cheesecake, pictures of the hosts’ recent trip to Vietnam and Cambodia, and delightful conversation
- Brunch at Parlour (sitting next to a trio of bros talking about being hungover, betting on professional sports, Juventus losing a stunner to Genoa, fighting, spending too much money at strip clubs, etc.)
- Writing this blog post and enjoying the last few hours in each other’s company before OvenMitt returns to Seattle for a week of work before his Birthday Acknowledgement Weekend next weekend (and before Panda returns to work on Monday for the first time in six months…)
A delightful moment watching Flight of the Conchords
*These Test Kangaroos not to be confused with the earlier Test Kangaroo